Our winners receive a £10.00 Amazon gift card!
Whether you love a superhero for the good they bring to the world or a villain for causing mass destruction, we want to read your super tales and marvel at your illustrations!
For your submission centred around your own created character, you could...
Your superhero/villain can be a human, animal or extraterrestrial, and of any race, gender, sexuality, etc. - it's a character invented by your imagination!
This time, we're running two separate competitions - one for 5 to 8-year-olds, and one for 9 to 12-year-olds. See below for details.
9 to 12-Year-Old Competition Rules
Invent your own superhero/villain and tell us their life story, the tale of their most exciting adventure, the time they crushed their foe's skull with their bare hands... Write the super story you've always wanted to read!
The maximum word count for your story is 750 words.
Entries are free and should be sent in using our online submission form.
Unfortunately, we will not accept stories based on existing fictional characters (e.g. Batman, Superman, etc.). However, you can of course draw inspiration from your favourite superheroes/villains, but this must be worked into your own unique character.
Remember! Ask you parent(s)/guardian(s) for permission before entering the competition.
We will select the winning entry on the 1st of September 2017 to be featured on our website and also win a £10.00 voucher.
5 to 8-Year-Old Competition Rules
We want to see your illustrations from drawings of superheroes defeating baddies to paintings of supervillains being the bad guys. In fact, send us whatever super scene you'd like to see.
Entries are free, but you must be able to send us an electronic copy. So, take a photo of it, scan it or draw it straight onto your computer and send it in using the online submission form (see below).
Unfortunately, we will not accept illustrations of existing fictional characters (e.g. Batman, Superman, etc.). However, you can of course draw inspiration from your favourite superheroes/villains, but this must be worked into your own unique character.
Terms and Conditions
Writing Times' Children's Corner competitions are open to all published and unpublished UK- and non-UK-based children aged between 5 to 12. This competition accepts drawings and stories.
A winner will be selected for a drawing entry (5 to 8-year old competition) and a story entry (9 to 12-year old competition).
Entry details, rules and regulations for both competitions are listed below:
1. All entries must be sent using the online form.
2. Entry is free.
3. One entry per child only, please.
4. Each child may only enter the competition that their age permits. I.e. 5 to 8-year-olds can enter the drawing competition, but not the short story competition, and vice versa.
5. Entries will not be returned.
6. No changes will be allowed once an entry is submitted.
7. All entries submitted must be work which has not been published elsewhere or submitted to another competition which is currently still open.
8. All entries must be your own work. Any entry found to be plagiarised or printed elsewhere will be disqualified.
9. All entries must be titled and clearly state the child's name and email address.
10. If necessary, the winning entry may be edited for publication by Writing Times.
11. The winner will be notified by the end of August 2017. The judges' decision is final. Winning entrants may not submit their work elsewhere without the permission of Writing Times.
12. The closing date for both competitions is midnight (BST) 30th June 2017.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com